Auto req ID: 26715BR
School/Unit: University Operations Services
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with laboratories to integrate safety into laboratory operations and promotes safe work practices based on regulatory requirements, best management practice guidance and University Policy. Assists laboratories in performing risk assessments and makes recommendations on appropriate lab safety practices.
- Performs risk assessment for research protocols involving DNA, biological agents, and Select Agents.
- Conducts inspections, compliance reviews and hazards assessments of research laboratories, general science labs, research animal facilities and other support facilities. Prepares and provides timely peer-reviewed reports, assists in and monitors corrective actions, as necessary. Consults with Principal Investigators and laboratory personnel on inspection findings and provides appropriate recommendations based on regulatory compliance and best practice guidance.
- Reviews grant applications, animal, biological and general experimental protocols, and makes recommendations consistent with program guidance. Represents clients at meetings such as the Committee on Microbiological Safety (COMS).
- Maintains and updates records of laboratory inspections, internal and external correspondence and investigations. Monitors completion of required tasks such as inspections, lab permit/registration renewals, regulatory filings and takes action (with School, EHS and Labs) to complete in a timely manner.
- Prepares and conducts training for laboratory safety including biological, chemical, general, and physical protection in laboratories, hazardous materials shipping, and other customized trainings.
- Maintains proficiency in DOT/IATA shipping requirements related to biological specimens, dry ice and other research shipments.
- Prepares, updates, and drafts policies, guidelines, and procedures for biological, chemical, and physical hazards and processes.
- Assists in the response and investigation of laboratory-related accidents or exposures.
- Tests work areas for air quality, biological, toxic and other hazards. Interprets sample/inspection results, makes decisions on findings, reports results to clients and maintain records. Use independent judgment to evaluate potential exposure to hazardous materials, physical hazards and/or conditions. Provides practical and feasible solutions to control exposures and ensures compliance with University guidelines, best management practices and occupational and environmental regulations.
- Participates in special projects and assists in the provision of EHS services as requested.
- Interprets and maintains proficiency in regulations, standards, guidelines and trends in laboratory safety and environmental health and safety; anticipates and evaluates their impact on the research community; communicates requirements to EHS and client/school management.
- Provides emergency response support (24 hour) throughout the University (on a rotating basis). Emergencies include: radiation, biological/blood spill, chemical/oil/waste release, pest control, personal injury, fire, etc.
- Maintains strong collaborative and professional relationships with the EHS staff and Principal Investigators, researchers and clients while actively promoting a culture of safety.
Bachelors Degree in safety, industrial hygiene, lab safety, microbiology, molecular biology, biology or other related discipline is required. 3-5 years relevant experience in laboratory and biological safety. Working knowledge of academic research laboratory processes, equipment and facilities, and ability to communicate complex technical issues to diverse clients. Must have collaborative customer service attitude and skills, exceptional written and oral communication. Must have ability to work independently and as a team member. Eligible to work in the US.
Must take initiative, be organized, able to manage multiple priorities to meet deadline requirements, work independently and as part of a team. Strong interpersonal and excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail are required. Must possess excellent time management and organizational abilities. Candidate is required to participate in 24-hour emergency response activities.
An MS is preferred. Professional certification or eligibility for certification (Certified Safety Professional, Certified Biosafety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist) desired; experience in a University research environment or EHS program strongly preferred.
Must be proficient in technology use; database development, querying, word processing, spreadsheet development, using MS Office to accomplish work-related tasks is required. Demonstrated ability to perform library and Internet searches to collect technical and regulatory information required for performing complex biological and rDNA risk assessments and decision-making.
Participates in daytime and off-hours EHS emergency response program on a rotating basis. Participates in EHS Emergency Response cross-training; required to be on call 24/7 and occasionally respond to emergencies during non-business hours. Maintains professional competency via in-house refresher training, literature reviews and participation in EHS professional organizations.
Must be physically fit and mentally alert at all times. Required to occasionally wear personal protective equipment, including respiratory protection equipment (negative pressure or PAPR). Must be able to frequently walk up and down stairs. Must have sufficient mobility, dexterity, and endurance to perform field visits. Must be capable of carrying and using monitoring equipment in a variety of workplace environments. Must be able to access any area of the University to perform inspections, job safety assessments, emergency response, etc. Must be capable of entering areas housing research animals, biological agents, or chemicals.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Operations Personnel
Pre-Employment Screening: DMV
The Laboratory and Biological Safety Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of the Harvard University Laboratory Safety Programs. This position is under the supervision of Associate Director for Laboratory Safety and will perform duties in Laboratory Safety in a multi-disciplinary Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) environment with strong emphasis on research laboratory safety (biological and chemical safety, occupational safety & health, industrial hygiene and radiation protection). The primary purpose of this position is to provide services directly to the researchers and research staff through field consultations, technical assistance, training, data collection and analysis. This position also provides emergency response support on a team rotation basis. As a member of the EHS team, works together with the Laboratory Safety staff to assist with the development of university-wide biosafety and lab safety programs.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/f6bswjz