Cleanroom Laboratory Manager – Advanced Science Research Center at CUNY
The Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC), slated to open in 2014 on the campus of City College at the City University of New York, will focus CUNY initiatives in five of the most energized areas of global research: Nanotechnology, Photonics, Structural Biology, Neuroscience, and Environmental Sciences. The ASRC will house a “clean room” that researchers from throughout CUNY will use for nanofabrication and other work that must be done in an environment free of particles in the air too small to see. The ASRC seeks a Cleanroom Laboratory Manager to be the designated technical officer responsible for overseeing the commissioning of the cleanroom currently under construction at the ASRC building and managing its daily administrative, technical, operational, and financial aspects. Prior to the ASRC’s opening, the successful candidate will: provide technical guidance on final cleanroom construction details; lead the selection and installation of equipment that will be used; and work with the construction team to certify the cleanroom. Thereafter, the Cleanroom Laboratory Manager will be accountable for ensuring cleanroom safety and general operating procedures and conditions; coordinating with environmental, health, and safety staff, as well as building management to establish safe and environmentally sound chemical handling procedures for this special lab environment in accord with specified regulations, standards, protocols, policies and methods. The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer of the ASRC.
Other key duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
· Manage all administrative, technical, operational, financial and personnel aspects of the research facility/lab, to include standard operating, process and control procedures, protocol support, instrumentation and equipment, physical plant, and systems infrastructure.
· Establish, monitor and enforce safety and chemical handling procedures; environmental, health, safety and cleaning controls; access, entry, and exit procedures; and emergency plans.
· Participate in Emergency Response Team training and events including laboratory inspections and be able to use communication, gas monitoring, and decontamination equipment.
· Negotiate new instrument and equipment purchases and contracts.
· Manage equipment availability, usage, repair, maintenance, inventories and ensure adherence to applicable specifications, guidelines and standards.
· Perform daily operational training and supervision to internal technical and support staff, and external users.
· Prepare training guides and manuals, and conduct orientations and walk-throughs.
· Maintain chemical data sheets, inspection records, safety procedures manual, and equipment manuals and related technical and engineering documentation.
· Manage and train research facility/lab staff members.
· Maintain a broad knowledge of current and emerging trends in state-of-the-art research facility/lab technologies, systems and research principles, practices and protocols.
· May be required to wear respirator equipment such as self-contained breathing apparatus.
· May be required to work on large and small assemblies.
Doctoral Degree in a related field and demonstrated research ability required. A waiver of the doctoral degree requirement may be available for highly-qualified candidates.
· Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant technical, engineering or science discipline required.
· Advanced degree in an engineering or science discipline preferred
· Five (5) years of technical experience with microelectronics, nanotechnology, MEMS, or related disciplines.
· Practical knowledge of cleanroom safety practices and a capability to develop and sustain a culture of laboratory safety through effective policy, training, and enforcement.
· Must be able to work in cleanroom and measurement laboratory environments with exposure to compressed gases, acids, bases, oxidizers, solvents, vacuum pump oils, and other chemicals and lift 50-lb apparatus - Experience supervising engineers, technicians and scientists.
· Ability to work across organizational and discipline boundaries and foster teamwork.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Click the following link http://cuny.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=36683 (or copy & paste it to your web browser) to apply via the Interview Exchange application processing website. For full consideration, complete applications must include a current CV or resume, cover letter describing your work experience as related to the general and campus specific duties of the position, and contact information for at least three professional references.
CUNY Job Notice #
Interview Exchange Job ID #
The initial review of applications will begin on January 3, 2013. The posting will close on January 31, 2013.
To see the full job posting/position description and qualification requirements, go to the CUNY website at http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html Click on Additional Job Opportunities under the Search for Jobs section of the page, and then click the Job Title for the position.
The City University of New York (CUNY) is an EO/AA Employer.